Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Poem of Boredom in Honor of my 70th Post

my eyeballs prick
sticky and toxic as flypaper
from staring at a computer screen

the fluorescent lights of doom illuminate my cubicle
growing nothing but derision
with a sprinkling of jadedness
as the flower of my soul wilts

my creativity is siphoned off by a void that even facebook cannot fill
or perhaps creates

the world at my fingertips
oh wait, that's just the internet
not the same thing

what i would give for a window!
a mere shaft of sunlight!
an incandescent bulb!
(the kind that hurts the environment)

my refuge is the bathroom
with two stalls and one dripping faucet
i look in the mirror to make sure i'm still here
and my office building presence is woefully confirmed

then i return to my computer
window to the world
i compose a melodramatic and terrible poem

and laugh at myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment