Friday, January 23, 2009

Trader Joe's Just Mango Slices Are Truly Amazing.

Seriously. They are. Have you tried them? You must. Ingredients: Unsulfured, unsweetened dried mangos; deliciousness. That's it. They have all the positive aspects of candy and crack with none of the draggy side-effects.

But I really just needed a title.

Things are good. Last night I saw one of the casting directors for "Grey's Anatomy" for the second time, and it went well. He also remembered me, which was exciting. I also saw a woman from "House" last weekend, which did not go as well... This workshop place gives you the sides ahead of time, which is great, because you can memorize and do some character work. But I find that the longer I have the scene, the longer I have to stress about it and feel bad about it if it isn't where I feel like it should be and I get in my head and blah blah blah. It's silly. So I'm working on that.

I heard from both shows that they don't hire non-union at all, just SAG-Eligible and SAG. I knew that was usually the case, but hearing that they are very definitive about it reminded me that I really need to get my third voucher. I have this optimistic unrealistic idealism that SAG eligibility is going to fall into my lap because someone is going to discover how amazing I am and how I am the Only One Who Can Do This One Thing and I won't have to do any more extra work (not that there is anything wrong with that) and it's just going to magically happen.

It may be time to move past that. I'm one voucher away. I should go do some more extra work.

I also had my first commercial audition this week, for a Zyrtec print ad. It was the best sort of first commercial audition, because it really and truly had nothing to do with my ability whatsoever. Based on looks. Can't do anything about 'em. I was totally fine. The role was for "curvy/chubby jogger." Let me tell you how much I loved that. Trying to focus on the "curvy" part. I also thought it was sort of funny that that was the first thing my new agent sent me on.

Oh! Yeah! I got an agent!!! So the meeting went well. He is going to send me out commercially for now. I asked about theatrical and he said he can't really send me out until I'm SAG-Eligible or on IMDB, which I understand, especially after the latest round of CD workshops. Hmm. Maybe I should go do some more extra work. Both SAG-e and IMDB were already goals for this year. So I'm working on that.

I had a callback today for a student film. I was reading for the lead girl and this guy leaned over and whispered to the director. She had me read for the friend, they re-directed, and then she was pretty funny: "Wow. That was - you took that direction really well. I'm going to call you. Would you mind playing the friend? I'm definitely going to call you." I thought it was sort of funny. I'll believe it when she calls, but it was fun.

Final thing in this Ridiculously Long Post Because I Forgot I Have Things To Talk About: I had lunch with a friend from Macalester who happens to be an agent-in-training at a huge (Top 5) agency. It was fun to re-connect and power lunch in Beverly Hills. I'm excited to have another friend in LA and excited to have another industry connection.

It's been a great January.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, girl! You got a lot going on! Yeah, it's tough not being SAG yet (neither am I). But hang in there; it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on the agent! I'm glad that you're not only surviving but taking life in LA by the balls. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm... I'm allergic to Mango... But I love Trader Joe's Nuts!! My dog love their doggie greenie bone.

    Congrats on getting an Agnet. :) That's really awesome!! Yay!!!!

    A friend of mine, who recently moved to New York from LA, told me that she did Background Work Non-Stop for 6 months, and got all her SAG Waivers.

    ReplyDelete