Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This is hard.

Waa waa waa. Acting is haaaard. There's so much to leaaaarn. It's pilot season and I'm not going ouuuut. Waaaaaa.

Whining is done. I just whined to prove that the title of the post isn't whining. Cause I'm not going to whine. I'm going to say something shocking:

It's pilot season in LA, and I'm glad I haven't been sent out.


"Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?" you may say. "Whyyyy?" you may ask.

It's simple: I ain't ready.

I am in a fantastic audition technique class right now, and every week the value of it is re-affirmed because I make HUGE mistakes.

Last night, we worked on auditioning for co-stars, roles where the whole part consists of somewhere between two and ten lines. The first sides were from a sitcom. A situational comedy. A COMEDY. And in my first read, I was not funny. Neither were my classmates. The scene was a nurse talking to a guy who got beat up, and we all read it like we were auditioning for Grey's Anatomy. Our teacher, who is also a casting director, pointed out that no one in an audition situation is going to say "That was good, but can you do it again and be funny?" They're going to say "Thank you, Next!"

Last week, we spent the evening working on one-liners. I must admit that of all the things I have worked on in acting classes, nothing has made me hate myself and want to quit quite like one-liners. They're HARD. You have ONE LINE to nail it. And it's HARD.

Okay, sorry. That was close to whining. But I'm not, I promise.

I'm learning a lot. I'm glad of it. My ability to kick ass is getting stronger every week. But man it's hard to realize all the things you have to learn and all the mistakes you have been making. But that's what class is for. And I won't make those mistakes again.

That's why I'm glad I'm not going out right now for pilot season. Because I would probably do something stupid and shoot myself in the foot, or make some common green-actor new-to-LA mistake that would result in a very quick "Thank you, Next!"

So, Dear Agent, now that I know everything and have learned all the mistakes I was making, feel free to send me out for pilot season. K thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment