Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy 2009!

Well, folks, it's here and it's good: The Future.

Hope the holidays treated everyone fairly. I had a (mostly) great time at home and it was fantastic to see my family. I returned to LA jazzed and ready for 2009.

You know, that's actually not true. I was very sad when I was coming back. I got bumped and then un-bumped, so I sat in Business Class unable to enjoy my consolation prize of free drinks and more leg room and feeling sorry for myself for coming back to an empty apartment and a job that isn't what I want to be doing. I was feeling like the future was stretching out bleakly ahead with nothing interesting or sparkling in sight. And a week later (one little week!) I feel better, because I was wrong.

In the last week, I have seen two amazing and inspiring movies that reminded me of why I am an actor - Doubt and Revolutionary Road. I think Doubt was the best translation of a play to film that I have ever seen. I studied abroad with Frank Wheeler's affair in Revolutionary Road, so it was very fun to watch her. Xan discovered an awesome story about Michael Shannon, the guy who plays John Givings, the lunatic. Firstly, he was phenomenal, and definitely deserves a Best Supporting Actor nomination, in my humble opinion. Apparently he is one of those examples of an actor who paid attention and read the trades and when he saw that Revolutionary Road was being cast, he knew he was perfect for the part from reading the book, contacted his manager, Sam Mendes knew of him from theatre in London, and bam! he got the part. Well, I'm sure there was more to it between Sam Mendes and bam!, but it gives me great hope to hear stories like that. Especially when he was absolutely fantastic in the role.

Seeing those films really shook me out of my wallowing, and in my shaking I remembered all the things I'm doing to move forward - I've been doing my New Year's mailing, started two new classes this week, signed up for four casting director workshops this month, and lo and behold I've been getting called to audition! The town feels like it's waking back up a bit, and I'm waking back up with it. 2009 holds great things, and I'm going to have my hand fully in making them happen.

I walked down the street in the sunshine today and realized I was smiling for no other reason than being happy in the sunshine. It made me smile even bigger. I wish you all sunshine and smiles!

(I will never subject you to this brand of warm fuzziness again, I prom-- I better not promise. I'll do my best.)

No comments:

Post a Comment