Thursday, January 8, 2009

Resolution Amendment

I know amending a resolution sort of defeats the whole purpose, but you'll shortly see why it's necessary.

One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2009 was to never skip an audition. I skipped an audition for a student film back in October, and it was the LAST AUDITION I GOT IN 2008. A sign? Maybe not, but I decided to take it as one and not do that again.

Well, this week I got called in to audition for an "original play" with a dubious title at a theatre I had never heard of. (Why did I submit for this? This is a question I have asked myself at least 7 times already.) I went back and forth, wondering how I could ask to see the script before I went. It also turned out to be sort of a hassle to arrange it so I could have the car to get there, but owing to my resolution, we did it and I drove for 2 hours this morning before work so that I could go to the audition.

And it was a mistake.

My gut was telling me not to go, but I went because of my resolution. Hence the need for an amendment.

I reserve the right not to go to an audition if it seems to be shitty, either from the correspondence with the casting person or upon further review of the breakdown. I also promise to hold myself accountable and not do "meh" submissions when it is against my better judgment. I owe myself both of those things. I try not to be high and mighty or take myself too seriously, but the truth is that there are some things that just aren't worth my time. So I shouldn't go audition for them. Makes sense.

I did see someone I knew there. That's always fun. We read together and then stood outside and sort of had a laugh about it. And it got me out of the office, which has been particularly heinous today. So not a total waste of a lunch break, but close. I also re-discovered that I had the song "You's a Ho" on a mix cd my sister gave me years ago. I love that song. That was the highlight of the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. It is okay to SKIP an audition - only if you call and informed the casting director why you couldn't go. And yes, always trust your instinct. Sometimes, when you apply for a casting call, you don't know what it is all about until you got an email with audition and production details. That often changes your expectation of the project.
    Don't settle for less, because as actors, we should focus on projects that allows us to showcase our ability - and have fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete