Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'M IN A SHOW!!!!

Much excitement is necessary, because I GOT CAST IN SOMETHING. Finally. After six months of auditioning. Yay!

Last week I went to an audition that I wouldn't have been able to go to, but my temp job fell through. So I learned the monologue from the show the night before, and I went. I was going from Santa Monica, and it took me over an hour in traffic to get there, I was in the room for 7 minutes, and I sat in another hour of traffic to get back.

While in the room for 7 minutes, I managed to forget the last 3/4 of my monologue. This has never happened to me. I've botched things before and skipped parts, but never like this. The monologue went "Poof!" and it was gone. Nothing. I couldn't even remember the ending. So I stopped and said "I'm sorry, I lost it." After that, he looked at my resume and saw the "Guys and Dolls" credit. He asked me to sing "I've Got the Horse Right Here" or whatever it's called, so I did. And then I left. Feeling terrible. Because I totally blew my audition. I was upset, because of the few things an actor has control over in an audition, knowing your lines is first. And I blew it. I drove through traffic full of self-loathing, talked to my sister, yelled at some stupid drivers, and felt a little better.

Jump shot to Sunday morning, I check my email and see a note from the email address. I opened it, thinking it was a "Thanks for auditioning, but you sucked, and we chose someone who sucked less" email, but it wasn't! It was a "you're in the show email!" I was shocked. Elated. Flabbergasted. Ecstatic.

The show is called "Diary of a Catholic School Dropout" by Layon Gray, who is also directing. It's been in rep basically since 2003, with a different cast every month or so. We are the 92nd cast. I really like the script, there are 9 women and we all have monologues as well as some dialogue together. Layon called it a "choreoplay." We've had two rehearsals so far, and we go up March 7th.

I am so excited to be working. It feels fantastic. I needed this. Thank you, Universe! (The Secret can't hurt, right?)

Let me know if you want to fly to LA to see it! You can sleep on my couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment