Thursday, October 30, 2008

Actor Jealous

So this is funny.

Today I had a callback (yay!) for another student project with the same director as last time. So that's cool. But that's not what is funny.

What is funny is that there was a guy at this audition and at the callback that had been at the previous audition and callback. We read together and chatted the first time and he was great to play off of, so I was excited to see him yesterday at the audition and then today at the callback.

He and I were paired up when he got there, and then after we read for the director we were each paired with other folks to read again. I was rehearsing with a guy who...well, to euphemize, he probably isn't the best choice for the role. And he was ad-libbing, which I hate. But anyway. While I was rehearsing with this guy, the actor I liked was reading with another girl outside of the audition room. And I discovered, to my horror and then amusement, that I had actor jealousy! He was doing his best with her, just as he had with me, but I realized that my silly actor self wanted him to only do his best with me, not this other chick. I felt cheated on or something. And then I laughed at myself for being ridiculous. Of course I wanted him to do his best all the time. And then I turned back to the guy who still hadn't made it all the way through the monologue he was ad-libbing and continued rehearsing with him.

Unfortunately, my last time in the room was with Mr. Euphemism. I was "released" after that. It's so hard to read when that happens, your actor mind taffy (Thanks Bonnie Gillespie!) starts spinning and you can't figure out if he just saw what he needed or if he hated you or you're good and he was just letting you go or or or...silly. Silly actors.

But yeah. It was fun. I think he should cast me and that guy and that other guy.

Audition: USC Grad film 10/29 callback 10/30

3 comments:

  1. In this case... I don't think he was doing his best when he was paired up with the other actress.

    At least, from my perspective... I tend to do my reading a bit different based on the person I'm reading with.

    You feed energy, but at the same time, you receive energy from the other person.

    In your eyes, he probably reacted better with the other actress... Maybe in his mind, he felt he did a better job reading with you. But you know what? The truth is, He was doing his best for himself.

    We actors just have to do OUR best whenever we can. If our scene partner are helpful, then we use that. In your case, you struggled, because you couldn't connect with the ad-libbing guy (I hate ad-libbing too). But you know what? As long as you know that you did your best... That's all it matters.

    There's always the next Audition, right?

    ReplyDelete