Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Know your type - the common theme

This morning I met with Kris of k2foto to talk about shooting headshots. I'm very excited to shoot with her, mainly because she spent so much time emphasizing the importance of knowing your type, and how she likes to know how you see yourself and how you plan to market yourself when she goes into the headshot session, so that she can help coach you through it to get the photos you want.

I've done typing exercises in class before and know how invaluable it is to hear how other people see you. The harder and somewhat more important task is knowing who you are and how you present when you walk in to the room. Everybody wants to be the stunningly beautiful girl, but everybody can't be. Knowing that isn't who you are can be difficult, but is so important.

I left my meeting with Kris thinking a lot about my type (and about how I really need to go shopping) and remembered that I had homework for the commercial class I'm starting tonight with Jill Alexander. She asked us to bring a description of ourselves as a character, as it would appear in casting director speak. Here's my crack at me:

Sweet but sassy best friend next door who can charm your mama, make your daddy laugh, and kick your brother’s ass. 22-28. The kind of person even shy kids hug on the first play date. Experiences soaring joy from clear blue skies and pugs. Smart with a barely suppressed inner librarian. Feminist who loves to cook. Southern girl with Midwest appeal. Liberal arts type with a few hippie tendencies. Kind but fiercely loyal. Saves worms and slugs from certain concrete deaths. Music lover born in the wrong era. Avid swing dancer. Plays clarinet.

After sitting down and doing that exercise, I feel much better about me and knowing who I am. I do know my type, I just need to remember how to articulate it. I'll let you know if the feedback I get agrees with my own assessment. I highly recommend that all actors write the breakdown that encompasses you.

No comments:

Post a Comment