Friday, December 19, 2008

My Type

Last night in the fabulously fantastic class that I'm in, we tackled Type, the big elephantine monster that I've been afraid to ask anyone about but unsure of how to figure out for sure on my own. It was awesome.

Everyone walked around and handed each other index cards, then you stood and looked at each other, writing down 5 things that came to mind immediately. It was difficult with the people I already know, because you want to try not to factor in personality or personal history. I highly highly recommend doing this...if you randomly find yourself in the company of a small group of kind and well-meaning strangers. Or in class.

Here is what I got. Any emphasis or parentheticals are what was written down. Numbers in parentheses are when I got repeats of the exact same phrase.

20-26
athletic (x2)
best friend (x3)
best girlfriend
bitchy
bookstore clerk
chipper
classy
closeted sex kitten (by "closeted" I mean "non-slutty")
clothing store owner
college type
comedic cop
confidant
cute (x3)
cute
cute caring girlfriend
cute friend
daredevil
dry humored friend
early 20s (x3)
excited for the future
faithful
free spirited
friendly
fun
funny (x3)
geeky
girl next door (x4)
girlfriend
good ol' girl
goofball
grad student
grounded (x2)
happy
hipster
honest
intelligent
Jennifer Aniston
Laura Linney in her 20s
loving
loyal (this was underlined but blogger won't let me do that)
mid 20s (x2)
middle class (x2)
midwestern (x2)
neighbor
nerd
nurse
outgoing
playful
post graduate student
pretty
quiet
quirky (x2)
sarcastic
scholar
sexy
shy
silly
slightly unsure of herself
smart
smarter than she lets on
smiley
sports player
spunky
spunky (like Punky)
suck up
sweet
sweet girl next door mom
thoughtful
tomboy (x2)
tough
warm
wide-eyed
works in a German bar
young assistant to shit boss
young mom (x2)

These are a little all over the place, but I can certainly see all of them in myself. If you plotted them all on a Venn diagram of some sort, I'm pretty sure the majority would fall in the same circle. Now I know: I'm perfect for the cute girl next door funny best friend in her mid 20s. Bring it.

Funnily enough, there were two breakdowns today that were pretty spot-on for me. I submitted to both, and already got called in for one. Yay! Hopefully they'll be able to see me when I get back.

Also: if you care about acting, incarceration, Shakespeare, theatre, or any combination of those, watch Shakespeare Behind Bars. They have it on Netflix. It is wonderful and inspiring and heartbreaking and reminded me of why I fell in love with acting in the first place and how I can actually make a difference pursuing what I love.

I get on a plane tonight to go home for the first time in a year and I am absolutely ecstatic. Happy happy holidays to you all, and may 2009 bring us all wonderful things!

1 comment:

  1. We did something similar in one of my acting classes as well, except each person stood in front of the class and the rest of the class just shouted out what they saw. I like the index card idea that your class did better. I found it both enlightening and surprising what people saw in me.

    We also looked at wether a person was the "perp" or the "victim", some people could be both. And our instructor said to find a way to sum up our type as if it were a bumper sticker. For example Jeff Goldblum could be "Strangely Sexy Mad Scientist" or Harrison Ford could be "Ordinary Man In Extraordinary Circumstances".

    ReplyDelete