Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thoughts on doing what you love

Yesterday evening, on the way home from hiking at Runyon Canyon, we passed a guy walking his dog in his scrubs. I don't know who he is or if any of my assumptions are correct, but it just made me think how wonderful it must be to do what it is you love doing. What if I loved coming to work everyday at my survival admin job? What would it be like to be content and happy with where you are and what you do? What will it be like when I can say the same for myself?

Xan and I were talking recently about how much easier life would be if we were content living somewhere else, pursuing different careers, and raising babies like so many of the people we know who seem to be perfectly happy doing that. It seems like a romantic ideal, but the difference is that we know ourselves and know that while other people are happy with that, we wouldn't be. Good to know, I suppose. Sometimes I wonder if I had a Morpheus offering me a pill where I would remember nothing and be content with a different life if I would take it.

I don't think I would. But sometimes it's tempting.

2 comments:

  1. I often think about what my life would be like if I were happy going to my 9-5 job and just living life. I've tried it. After a while, the familiarity of the routine seems comforting, but I think it's really just numbing (for me). I know I need to keep pushing for the life I want, because 9-5 (or in my case, 7-3:30) is not what I want.

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Adia. It's good to know I'm not alone. Here's to going after what you want!

    ReplyDelete