Monday, November 24, 2008

So, Kind Reader - tell me what to do

So I've never directly addressed anyone who might be reading this, instead preferring to erect a pseudo-fourth wall in the blogosphere, I suppose. The wall is coming down, folks. I have three followers (hey-oh!) and the time has come to elicit response.

So. I am a creative person. When you get to the root of why I want to be an actor and what I want to do with my life and why I'm slogging through the slog I'm slogging and yadda yadda yadda, it boils down to my need to create and feel like I'm contributing something through that creation. When I'm working on a project or I have something in the future I'm working towards, no matter how small it may be, I always feel better.

So. My question to you is this - what do you do when you don't have anything creatively exciting in sight? Or anything creative at all?

I'm not at that point. I have a reading next week that I'm very excited about, and I know that I'm always only a step away from doing something myself to pull myself out of the cubicled fog of 9 to 5-ery, and I still have two more performances of my sketch show. But I want to know what other folks have done to keep themselves from falling into the Depths of Despair that are somewhat unavoidable when creative people aren't expressing themselves.

I see it in myself, and I see it in the people around me. I was always happiest in high school (possibly the only times I was happy in high school) when I was doing a show, and that hasn't changed. The people I love most in this world don't do well when they're not working on or excited about something. It's hard to watch, especially because I recognize the feeling. (Also, right now, it's compounded by being really broke and there not being any work, which is terrifying. I have three friends in the temp world who are achingly desperate for work.)

Self-discipline isn't always my strong suit, but I'm trying to change that. So I thought I would ask for some advice. Any help avoiding a self-imposed mental quagmire filled with self-doubt and questions about self-worth with a side of self-loathing is greatly appreciated.

So. Thanks in advance.

4 comments:

  1. Well, finding another creative outlet other than performance can be helpful. For short term solutions, I often put on my headphones and dance around my apartment until I fall over with exhaustion. You can bake something, or make a soup, or draw a picture, or paint your walls, or challenge yourself to make something tasty out of all the random ingredients in your kitchen.

    You could also start writing (other than blogging). Even if it's bad, making up a story is fun, and it doesn't cost anything. Incidentally, the only thing keeping me from tearing out my hair right now is that I'm working on a novel (and I don't mean this comment).

    Challenge yourself to do something silly every day. It'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I don't have any gigs lining up... Or the month has been super slow...
    I take classes. Either a scene study class at a local acting studio/school... or another Casting Director Workshop. Keeping my skills sharpen... As well as working on new materials (assignemnts, in class work) and meet other actors.
    Other outlet I have, is reading. I recently finished a book called "Truth" by Susan Baston. It's pretty good. It gives you an idea on how the approach to Acting has changed to fit into our modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice from both of you. I'm trying to find crafts I can do while sitting in my cubicle. I'm gonna try felt stockings next, I think. And cooking is always a great release for me. As for classes, I've decided it's a must to start in January. And I'm joining an actors marketing/savvy/support group thingy with people I like. Gotta keep on plugging. And dance more. I'm worried about this second strike business, but we'll see what happens.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I do when I'm stuck in my cubical?

    I research on imdb and other resources for upcoming TV & Film productions and their casting department.

    Last month I took a 6-weeks class with Casting Director Assoc. Erica Jensen (Lipstick Jungle) - and one of the homeworks that we are required to bring to each class, is "what's new on TV? who's the casting director? Where is it filmed?" - I guess I don't have any other hobby... haha. Just been surrounding myself with the Showbiz.

    As far as of the Strike.. Oh gosh, with THIS Econmy.... I hope not....

    ReplyDelete